1.29.2011

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Persuasion is Jane Austen's last completed novel. She died, aged 41, in 1817; Persuasion was published in December of that year (but dated 1818). More than seven years prior to the events in the novel, Anne Elliot falls in love with a handsome young naval officer named Frederick Wentworth, who is intelligent and ambitious, but poor. Sir Walter, Anne's father and lord of the family estate of Kellynch, and her older sister Elizabeth are dissatisfied with her choice, maintaining that he is not distinguished enough for their family. Her older friend and mentor, Lady Russell, acting in place of Anne's deceased mother, persuades her to break off the match. Now, aged 27 and still unmarried, Anne re-encounters her former fiancé when his sister and brother-in-law, the Crofts, take out a lease on Kellynch. Wentworth, now a captain, is wealthy from wartime victories in the Royal Navy and from prize-money for capturing enemy ships. However, he has not forgiven Anne for her rejection of him.


Jamie - I am only half way done with this book but I wanted to post this before Erin had a chance to post something. She would probably like to compare our relationship to the one between Anne and her older sister Elizabeth. Erin being Anne and me being Elizabeth. But a more accurate comparison would be Anne and her little sister. Anne being me and Erin being Mary... :P

Jamie - *sigh* I love Jane Austen! Her endings are always so perfect! For some reason I hadn't realized that I'd never read this book. I was under the impression that I had already read all of her books but this one was completely new to me. I was so happy that Anne ended up with Captain Wentworth! For awhile there I wasn't sure. I thought she was going to end up with Captain Benwick or Mr. Elliot and I wasn't happy with either of those choices. Some of my favorite parts of this book were Capitan Wentworth's letter to Anne, of course! and Mary's letter, I mean seriously hilarious! She was such a funny character. I also had a soft spot for Sir Walter. The characters in this book were just so ridiculous! I'm just happy we finally got to a real love story!!!

Jamie - *erinsucksatblogging cough cough* P.S. I rented the BBC movie from the library and I am really excited to watch it. And not at all because of the cute actors in it, muhahaha! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment